Advertise

Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, 20 September 2016

NECO withholds results of candidates from Niger State

0 comments

Results of candidates from Niger State, who sat for the 2016 Senior Secondary Certificate Examination June/ July National Examinations Council, NECO, have been withheld by the Council due to failure of the state government to remit fees to the examination body.
Vanguard also gathered that results of candidates, who sat for the West African Examinations Council, WAEC, were also being withheld for the same reason.
The unfortunate incident blew open when candidates from Niger State, who had been trying to access their results online, could not, while their counterparts from other states have been having no  problems  accessing their results through the same means.
Parents and their wards are now confused on how to remedy the situation in order to meet up with this year’s admission to higher institutions, especially if the results are not eventually released before admission processes close for the new academic session.
“Honestly, this is an unfortunate situation for the parents and our wards. It is sad that we paid the Exam fee for our wards but unfortunately it is not remitted to the relevant examination bodies.
“We don’t know what is really going on, but we will surely get to the root of the matter soon,” declared Alhaji Mohammed Alfa in an interview.
When contacted, the state Commissioner for Education, Hajiya Fatima Madugu, confirmed that the state government had issues to settle with NECO which invariably might have prompted the withholding of the last examination results.
The commissioner who however argued that current financial challenges which may have prompted the state government to withhold monies from parents to have their wards write the last WAEC and NECO SSCE is not peculiar to Niger state alone but assured that the state will settle the debt wuth the two examination bodiesafter the next FAAC meeting .
Another parent who declined to mention his name, said: “WAEC is also withholding results of candidates who sat for the examination, as I am talking to you today, they have not been able to access their results for same reason”.
When contacted, the state Commissioner for Education, Hajiya Fatima Madugu, confirmed that the state government had issues to settle with NECO which invariably may have prompted the withholding of the last examination results.
The commissioner who however argued that current financial challenges which may have prompted the state government to withhold monies from parents to have their wards write the last WAEC and NECO SSCE is not peculiar to Niger state alone but assured that the state will settle the debt wuth the two examination bodiesafter the next FAAC meeting .
According to the commissioner, “About 5, 000 candidates  wrote the exams and we are indebted to NECO to the tune of about N200 million and hope that by next week after the FAAC meeting we will meet with NECO and see how we can solve the issues”.
When contacted, the Public Relations Officer of NECO, Sani Azeez said he is not aware of any seizure but that he will confirm the next day.
“Honestly, I am not aware of the debt and since no candidate or parents have presented such a case to us, we want to assume that all is well but the state Ministry of
Education is in a better position to clarify the issue,” he declared.


Follow MyPortalNg on Twitter!

Like MyPortalNg on Facebook!


Leave a Reply

 
MyPortalNg © 2016